The chef at hotel Andaz in Delhi's Aerocity, shared the following recipe for Amrud ki subzi or a guava curry that is made without onions.
- 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 gm hing
- 2 gms cumin seeds
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1-2 no green chili slit into half
- 1 gm coriander powder
- 1/2 gm turmeric powder
- 1 gm red chili powder
- 2 gms dry mango powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- salt to taste
- 30 ml curd whisked
- 100 gm ripened guava (amrud), deseeded and cut into slices
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add hing and zeera and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree, ginger and green chilli and cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, fennel powder and salt to taste and cook until oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Now add curd and cook for a minute.
- Keep stirring until the curd is cooked.
- Add amrud (guava) and a cup of water.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes until amrud (guava) is slightly tender.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Kaddu ki sabzi or pumpkin curry The Oberoi Hotels & Resorts
The chef at The Oberoi, Gurgaon shared a recipe for Kaddu ki sabzi or pumkin curry with us.
(Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 medium sized pumpkin/kaddu
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 or 2 dry red chilies (optional)
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp sugar or 2 tsp crushed jaggery
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp.raisins
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- Few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Raisin 1 cup
- Wash the pumpkin then peel and chop.
- Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker.
- Add fenugreek seeds as well as cumin seeds and fry both for a minute on a low flame.
- Add red chilies and again fry for around 15 seconds.
- Add diced pumpkin and mix all the dry spice powders except dry mango powder and garam masala in it.
- Now add the sugar or jaggery in it.
- Mix pumpkin with rest of the spices and sugar/jaggery.
- Also add water and salt in it.
- Cover the pressure cooker with a lid and pressure cook it for 7-8 minutes.
- If you do not have a pressure cooker then try to cover the pan with a lid
- Let the pumpkin cook for some 15-20 minutes till it becomes soft and mushy.
- Once pumpkin is cooked, add raisins, garam masala and dry mango powder.
- Stir fry pumpkin well and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pumpkin should not be watery or too dry.